Laws & Regulations
In North Dakota all persons who are at least 12 years of age are required to take a North Dakota-Approved Snowmobile Safety Course, and obtain a snowmobile safety certificate when riding on public lands.
Exception to Education Requirements
You are not required to carry a snowmobile safety certificate in the following cases:
- If you have a valid driver's license
Ride Safe and Legal!
Before heading out onto North Dakota's snowmobile trails please remember to follow all safety regulations and best practices to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride:
- Always wear an approved helmet and safety gear while riding.
- Ensure your snowmobile is properly registered in the state.
- Ride at a safe speed. Reduce speed at night or in reduced visibility.
- Obtain the landowner's permission before riding on private lands.
- Never ride while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
The laws and regulations listed on this page are meant as a quick reference for snowmobile riders. It is your responsibility to know ALL snowmobile laws before heading out. For a complete listing of snowmobile laws and regulations in North Dakota please consult the North Dakota DPR at www.parkrec.nd.gov.
You can take the snowmobile safety course online and get your snowmobile safety certificate today! Simply click on the link below to get started.