Laws & Regulations
Idaho does not have a mandatory education requirement for snowmobiles. However by taking an Idaho-Approved Snowmobile Safety Course, and obtaining a snowmobile safety certificate you are helping to ensure your safety and the safety of others when out on the trails. After all, an educated rider is a safer rider!
Ride Safe and Legal!
Before heading out onto Idaho's snowmobile trails please remember to follow all safety regulations and best practices to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride:
- Always wear an approved helmet and safety gear while riding.
- Ensure your snowmobile is properly registered in the state.
- Ride at a safe speed. Reduce speed at night or in reduced visibility.
- Obtain the landowner's permission before riding on private lands.
- Never ride while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
The laws and regulations listed on this page are meant as a quick reference for snowmobile riders. It is your responsibility to know ALL snowmobile laws before heading out. For a complete listing of snowmobile laws and regulations in Idaho please consult the Idaho State Parks at parksandrecreation.idaho.gov.
You can take the snowmobile safety course online and get your snowmobile safety certificate today! Simply click on the link below to get started.