Laws & Regulations
In Iowa all persons who are at least 12 years of age but less than the age of 18 are required to take a Iowa-Approved Snowmobile Safety Course, and obtain a snowmobile Education certificate when riding on public lands.
Exception to Education Requirements
You are not required to carry a snowmobile safety certificate in the following cases:
- and obtain a snowmobile Education certificate when riding on public lands.
Ride Safe and Legal!
Before heading out onto Iowa's snowmobile trails please remember to follow all safety regulations and best practices to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride:
- Always wear an approved helmet and safety gear while riding.
- Ensure your snowmobile is properly registered in the state.
- Ride at a safe speed. Reduce speed at night or in reduced visibility.
- Obtain the landowner's permission before riding on private lands.
- Never ride while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
The laws and regulations listed on this page are meant as a quick reference for snowmobile riders. It is your responsibility to know ALL snowmobile laws before heading out. For a complete listing of snowmobile laws and regulations in Iowa please consult the Iowa DNR at www.iowadnr.gov.
You can take the snowmobile safety course online and get your snowmobile safety certificate today! Simply click on the link below to get started.